The Dallas Museum of Art’s Texas Bound programs are accepting short stories for 2011 until June 12, 2010.
Texas Bound is a part of Arts & Letters Live, the literary and performing arts series entering its 20th season in 2011. The programs take place on four evenings in Dallas and sometimes on tour in other cities during Arts & Letters Live’s programming season, Jan. through June.
Three or four stories of short fiction by Texas-connected authors are read by Texas actors at each performance. Authors featured in past programs include Sarah Bird, Larry L. King, Steve Martin, Sandra Cisneros, and Tim O’Brien. Well-known actors who have participated in the past include Tommy Lee Jones, Kathy Bates, Doris Roberts, and Brad Leland.
The fiction ranges from light-hearted and comic stories to dramatic narratives.
- Short fiction on any theme written by an author who has lived in Texas – OR – short fiction with a Texas setting, subject, character, or theme
- Reads aloud well to an audience
- Represents your best work; no more than 2 submissions per author
- Unpublished or previously published stories accepted (note source where story originally appeared)
- Excerpts from novels will be considered as long as the author specifies an excerpt with a clear beginning, middle, and end
- 2,000-5,000 words; 12-point font, double-spaced, with numbered pages throughout
- Include your mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number
Selection and Compensation
The selection process will take place over summer. E-mails confirming that manuscripts have been received will be sent. Manuscripts will not be returned.
A representative will contact you if your story is selected for the 2011 Texas Bound program; no other notifications will be sent.
Authors whose stories are selected will receive a $150 honorarium, complimentary tickets to the reading, and an invitation to dinner with the actors following the program.
Electronic Submission (preferred):
Send submissions to texasbound@DallasMuseumofArt.org
Mail Submissions to:
Texas Bound Call for Stories, Arts & Letters Live, Dallas Museum of Art, 1717 N. Harwood St., Dallas, TX 75201
If submitting by mail, include three copies of each story; all copies hole-punched and bound with paper clips.